Introducing Attorney Carlos J. Reyes | Attorney at Law
Carlos J. Reyes is the son of Cuban immigrants and was born in Miami, Florida. He is a family man celebrating 32 years of marriage, and the proud father of three children and grandfather to two. His story is very similar to that of many Cuban parents who came to this country in the 1950’s wanting a better life for their children. His strong work ethic comes from parents who had nothing when they arrived, but built a business and a life through hard work, a “never give up” attitude, and a wholesome belief and pursuit of the “American Dream.” Carlos applies that same strong work ethic to his law practice and the pursuit of justice and fairness for his clients. He represents his clients in a thoughtful and meaningful way while representing their legal needs with passion and strong conviction for their objectives. Throughout his career Carlos has also given back to his community as a way of making a further difference in the lives of others.
- University of Florida, B.S., 1981
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Florida, 1988
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1990
Areas of Experience:
- Commercial & Civil Litigation – Aggressive, effective representation in lawsuits, trials, administrative hearings and general litigation. Litigated matters range from breach of contract disputes to partnership dissolution, non-complete compliance to trade secret violations, investment disputes, landlord-tenant matters and mortgage foreclosure cases on behalf of both lenders and investors on one-end, and defending homeowners on the other against improper mortgage foreclosure actions. In the latter instance, where obvious and outright litigation victories have not been available, has sought to negotiate solutions in the form of loan modifications and short-sale transactions designed to settle cases on acceptable terms.
- Real Estate Transactions – Oversees the firm’s legal team handling the residential and commercial transactional closing process (acquisitions, loans & title work) and commercial lease negotiations on behalf of landlords and would be tenants. His oversight includes working closely with the firm’s real estate attorneys and staff as they handle drafting and reviewing contracts, meeting title and title requirements, conducting due diligence reviews and tasks, drafting conveyance and loan documents, conducting closings, and handling post-closing issues and issuance of final title policies. Additionally, well versed in other areas of practice that are collateral to, but essential in the real estate area, such as formation of buying entities (corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, joint ventures, and Land Trusts), formation of condominiums and condo conversions work.
- Business Purchase Transactions – Also oversees the firm’s legal team handling the business purchase transactions in the form of asset purchases or stock purchase agreements. In doing so, directs and oversees the associated due diligence tasks so critical to these transaction, specifically, due diligence reviews, landlord assignment negotiations, negotiation of noncompete agreements, inventory issues, personal property concerns, dealings with accountants on the seller’s tax and financial standing, franchise engagements, and more.
- Arbitration – Has been selected by private attorneys to act as “Arbitrator” in conducting an arbitration to resolve pending civil lawsuits.
Awards & Recognition
- Appointed to the 2015 Charter Review Commission by the Broward County Commission.
- Finalist, “Leaders in Law” Award, Lifestyle Media Group, 2015.
- Light of the World Clinic Erwin M. Vasquez, M.D. Volunteer of the Year Award 2014.
- Firm was Finalist, “Leaders in Law” Award, Lifestyle Media Group, 2014.
- Silver Medallion Award, National Conference for Community and Justice, 2003.
- Leadership Florida Selection, Class XXI, 2003.
- Honoree, “Profiles in Leadership”, Leadership Broward Foundation, 2002.
- Honoree, “Valor Award”, American Diabetes Foundation, 2002.
- “Lifetime Board Member” Status, Latin Chamber of Commerce of Broward, 1999.
Professional Leadership, Memberships & Activities
- Member in Good Standing, Florida Bar, 2016
- Member in Good Standing, Leadership Florida, 2016
- Member in Good Standing, Broward County Hispanic Bar Association, 2016
- Member in Good Standing, NSU Levan Ambassadors Board
- Commissioner, Broward County Charter Review Commission, Term: 2015-2018
- Board Member and Interim CEO/President, Light of the World Clinic (2016)(Board Member since 1999, Legal Counsel 1998, Board Chairman 2002).
- Co-chaired, along with Arthur and Belinda Keiser (Keiser University) and Nancy Reyes, the 11th Annual For The Public Good Event (Legal Aid of Broward County)”, September 28, 2012
- Board Member, Broward Partnership for the Homeless (2006-2012; also served as Board Member and Resources Development Chair 2005-2009).
- Chairman, “Jeb Bush Cystic Fibrosis Gala 2009”, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (2009).
- Board Member and Gold Coast Region Chairman, Leadership Florida (2003-2008).Chairman, “Diamantes Gala,” Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (2007 – 2008).
- Commissioner, Chairman, and Vice Chairman, South Broward Hospital District a/k/a Memorial Healthcare System (1999-2007).
- Board Member and Chairman, Community Foundation of Broward County (Board Member 2001-2005; Chairman 2006).
- Board Member, United Way of Broward County (2000-2004; Leadership Giving Chairman, United Way, 2005-2006).
- Member, Florida Bar Citizen’s Forum (Attorney Representative, 1998-2000).
- Member, Community Health Purchasing Alliance for Broward County (CHPA), appointed by House of Representatives (1996-1998).
- President (1995-1996), Vice President (1998), & General Counsel (1988-1990), Latin Chamber of Commerce of Broward County, Inc.
- Chairman, Kids Voting Broward County Chapter (1992-1994).
- Centro Cristiano de Fe, et al. v. Riverside Christian Fellowship, and Suniland Fish and Market, et al., Case No. CACE 12-025433 (03), in the Seventeenth Judicial Court of Florida (Broward County), representing a commercial tenant plaintiff in a highly contested breach of contract lawsuit where the allegations concern breach of contract, breach of quiet enjoyment, and constructive eviction. Case remains pending.
- Signature Grand, Ltd. V. MAP Legacy, Inc., Case No. 12-09921(03) in the Seventeenth Judicial Court of Florida (Broward County), representing the defendant against claims brought forth by the receiver-seller of the landmark property in Broward County known as ‘Signature Grand’. Also prosecuted a counterclaim in the same action for claims against the receiver. Case settled.
- Signature Grand Transaction – Represented the buyer of the landmark property in Broward County known as the ‘Signature Grand’. This multi-million-dollar transaction was heavily negotiated, detail oriented and complex. It served to remove the property from under 9 years of receivership control.
Published Work, Written Articles & Lectures
- Panelist, “Mortgage Foreclosure Forum – A View From the Bench, Plaintiff and Defense Counsel” – Discussion of the latest developments, approach and procedure for foreclosures in Broward County courts, Broward County Hispanic Bar Association, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, March 8, 2012.
- Panelist, “A Panel Discussion: Impact of Foreclosure Actions on Family Law Cases”, at the Broward County Bar Association “Raising the Bar” Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 27, 2012.
- Panelist, “Foreclosures: The new Rules and Practical Realities” – Discussion of the mediation requirements, civil procedure for foreclosures in Florida courts, the foreclosure dynamics, alternate remedies, and what happens after foreclosure occurs, Broward County Women Lawyer’s Association, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, March 19, 2010.
- Presenter, “Lender Requirements in Commercial Transactions (specifically, condominium conversions)”, Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund Annual Attorneys’ Assembly, Orlando, Florida, May 6, 2005 and Affiliates Assembly in Coral Springs, Florida, September 23, 2005.
- Panelist, “The Growing Importance of South Florida as a Crossroads for International Business,” presented by NACORE International (a national corporate real estate group, May 9, 2001).
- Lecturer, “Insurance & Legal Issues Confronting Businesses,” Latin Chamber Seminar, Pembroke Pines, Florida, June 15, 2000.
- Lecturer, “Practicing with Professionalism Seminar,” Florida Bar, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Oct. 1999 and 2000
- Authored a myriad of articles regarding legal issues related to real estate transactional & closing work, and foreclosure defense legal work for VIVA magazine, 2010-2013.
- Co-author, “Foreign Investment in the United States”, Latin Law (a supplement of Latin Finance), October, 1999.