Purchasing real estate, whether residential or commercial, is a huge investment. For many people, it is the largest purchase they will make in their lives. When it is time to start looking for the right piece of property, most people know that a good real estate agent is a great resource for finding good opportunities, handling some negotiations, and much more. What most people don’t realize, however, is that they should also have an experienced real estate lawyer there to assist.
What Can a Real Estate Lawyer Help With?
A real estate agent is there to help you find the perfect home or other building, which is critical. An attorney should be there to help ensure that everything goes smoothly from a legal point of view. Whenever buying or selling property, you will be creating, concluding, and/or modifying a number of legal contracts. Having them written or reviewed by an attorney can help ensure you are protected at all times. Specifically, here are a few of the most common things that a real estate attorney can do for you:
- Write or Review Brokerage Contracts – Sellers will usually enter into a brokerage contract with a real estate agent. In some cases, it may be necessary to have an attorney there to write or review this contract to avoid issues.
- Title Search – One of the most common things a real estate lawyer does is perform a title search. This will ensure there aren’t any old liens or other obligations on the title of the house, which could cause huge issues even years down the road.
- Negotiations – Negotiating aspects of a sale or purchase of property can be handled by an attorney. Lawyers are very experienced with negotiations, and are legally obligated to act in your best interests.
- Purchase Agreement – Once the right property (or buyer) is found, a purchase agreement is needed to formalize the deal. Many deals are handled using just a standard form agreement, but that may overlook some specifics identified in the transaction. Having a custom made purchase agreement will ensure every important aspect of the agreement is identified properly.
- Fighting for Your Rights – In the very rare occasion that there is a legal problem with the purchase or sale of real estate, you’ll have an attorney familiar with the case ready to fight for your rights.
We’re Here to Help
If you are thinking of buying or selling any type of property, make sure you secure the services of an experienced attorney. Here at the Reyes Law Group we have experience with both standard and complex real estate law, and will provide you with the legal representation needed to avoid problems when engaged in this type of transaction. Avoid the nightmare of real estate legal issues by contacting us to set up a consultation right away.